Monday, January 21, 2008

Purpose ...

With all of talk of "purpose" lately, and such hot studies as Rick Warren's "A Purpose Drive Life", I have to take a step back in order to perceive the scope of it all and ask myself why "purpose" has suddenly become such a sticking point among recent trends.

No one sets out to create, design, or pursue something without first having a purpose. A student applies to a college with the purpose of getting accepted to a place where he/she can earn a degree and find fulfilling employment. Purpose exists before the act to pursue its end.

Therefore, I argue that God sets a purpose to our lives that exist before our being is made manifest. Although the purpose of us all is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever, the means of that glorification are what most of us struggle with.

I know a man that may be the finest guitar player I have ever seen play in a church worship band. He is exceptionally amazing in his ability, and yet is (in my observation) overly shy of his ability and holds back from opportunities to fully release his talent in music ministry.

This hesitance puzzled me, because a well-placed guitar solo can really accentuate a song and who's to say there is anything "wrong" with that? Arguably if that guitar feature included rock star antics and self-exaltation, that would be an easy determination of improper use of one's talents. On the flip side, why not play your heart out to God? Does He not give the talent to His glory? Would He not be glorified if this man tore into a few measures of worship to God on his guitar?

To each his own I suppose. It is hard to advise anyone of what they should/should not do with their talent before the Lord. However, something gave me a stir recently that I will share:

I play drums, and particularly relate to my guitarist friend as a musician with God-given ability. I started a few years ago wondering if I was overdoing any of the drum parts (which is an easy thing to do for many drummers). Then I got to thinking about my own signature style and how that exemplifies God's unique design of me and how I reflect Him in worship through my talent. I suddenly realized that, in context of demonstrating my ability, I was in fact worshipping God.

I borrow an exceptional quote from the movie: "Chariots of Fire" where Eric Liddell (1924 Olympic Gold Medalist) is giving an answer for why he chooses to delay his entrance to Seminary to pursue his running career:

"I believe God made me for a purpose, but He also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure. To give it up would be to hold Him in contempt; to win is to honor Him."

In whatever you do through God's gifting, do it so as to feel His pleasure. That is the ultimate experience of PURPOSE.

No comments: